Nova Scotia: Disaster Financial Assistance
Nova Scotians can now apply for disaster financial assistance related to damage from severe flooding that has affected portions of the province over the past few weeks.
The program covers up to $200,000 in uninsurable losses per household, small business, and not-for-profit organizations.
- Online: https://bit.ly/NSDisasterFinancialAssistance
- At Access Nova Scotia centres
- At MLA offices
What you need to know:
- Disaster financial assistance does not replace private insurance; only uninsurable damage is eligible.
- The disaster financial assistance application includes a form to be filled out by the applicant’s insurance company confirming that insurance was not available for losses.
- Applications are assessed for eligibility, and an adjuster verifies losses; processing can take several months.
- For additional updates on the flood recovery effort, visit: https://bit.ly/NSEmergencyAlerts
More resources from the Halifax Chamber of Commerce:
- Halifax Regional Municipality page on flood impacts: https://bit.ly/HRMFloodImpacts
- The Municipality is asking residents who cannot leave their properties due to road and culvert damage to register through the Flooding Registry Form: https://bit.ly/HRMFloodingRegistryForm
- Affected roads in the municipality: https://bit.ly/HRMStreetClosures
- Municipal residents can get access to Halifax Alerts if they have not already signed up here: https://bit.ly/hfxAlert
As we come to terms with the impacts of this devastating weather event, our thoughts go out to those that experienced the loss of family members, property and livelihoods. We also want to thank and acknowledge the efforts of our members and the emergency responders who are still working to support our communities.
Should you require more information, please contact your local broker.